The God of Small Things

The God of Small Things  (English, Paperback, Roy Arundhati)

8,814 Ratings & 575 Reviews
₹382
15% off
i
Available offers
  • Bank OfferGet ₹50 instant discount on first Flipkart UPI txn on order of ₹200 and above
    T&C
  • Bank Offer5% Cashback on Flipkart Axis Bank Card
    T&C
  • Bank Offer10% off up to ₹1,250 on HDFC Bank Credit Card EMI Txns, Tenure: 6 and 9 months, Min Txn Value: ₹7500
    T&C
  • Partner OfferSign-up for Flipkart Pay Later & get free Times Prime Benefits worth ₹20,000*
    Know More
  • Delivery
    Check
    Enter pincode
      Delivery by2 Jun, Sunday|16
      ?
      if ordered before 1:59 AM
    View Details
    Author
    Read More
    Highlights
    • Language: English
    • Binding: Paperback
    • Publisher: Penguin Random House India
    • Genre: Fiction
    • ISBN: 9780143028574, 014302857X
    • Pages: 256
    Services
    • Cash on Delivery available
      ?
    Seller
    The Premier Bookstore
    • 7 Days Replacement Policy
      ?
  • See other sellers
  • Description

Summary of the Book

The God of Small Things offers a keen insight into human nature with sensuous prose and dreamlike style. It is set in Kerala, India, during the late 60s where communism rattled the ancient caste system. The story starts off with the funeral of young Sophie Mol, who is the cousin of the protagonists - the twins, Rahel and Estha. In a serpentine and suspenseful narrative, Arundhati Roy unveils local politics, social taboos and historical aspects that lie underneath family tensions which leave the relationships irrevocably shattered. In this poignant novel, Roy captures the children’s candid observations, while showing an adult’s clouded understanding and complex emotional life.

About the Author

Born on November 24, 1961, Arundhati Roy is an Indian novelist, as well as an activist, who focuses on issues that are related to social justice and economic equality. Roy’s writings are formidable and masterfully told. With a voice that is indigenous and vision that is clear, Roy debuts with her novel, The God of Small Things. She has won several awards, such as the Booker Prize (1997), the Sydney Peace Prize (2004) and the National Film Award for Best Screenplay (1989), for her highly acclaimed work.

Read More
    Specifications
    Book Details
    Imprint
    • Penguin
    Contributors
    Author Info
    • Arundhati Roy is the author of The God of Small Things, which won the Booker Prize in 1997 and has been translated into more than forty languages, and The Ministry of Utmost Happiness, which was long-listed for the Man Booker Prize 2017. Roy has also published several works of non-fiction, including The Algebra of Infinite Justice, Listening to Grasshoppers and Broken Republic. She lives in Delhi.
    Dimensions
    Height
    • 216 mm
    Length
    • 135 mm
    Frequently Bought Together
    The God of Small Things
    (8,814)
    ₹382
    15% off
    The Inheritance of Loss
    (1,036)
    ₹269
    1 Item
    1 Add-on
    Total
    Ratings & Reviews
    8,814 Ratings &
    575 Reviews
    + 66

Super!

I wanted to read this book for a long period of time. Finally, I have purchased. Page quality is good. The book is received a day earlier than delivery date.
    READ MORE

Flipkart Customer

Certified Buyer, Nawada District

Feb, 2020

Report Abuse

Splendid. In a word.

Have to come in terms with the fact that Only those with childhood still in them, would enjoy this book. How can such a beautiful language even exist?- That was my initial reaction to this. Ms. Roy demands such strong emotion from her readers that it makes you really wonder if you were an invisible being lingering around when the lives of the characters unfold in front of you. It literally serenades you, making you believe that these characters, really, yes, do exist. However, it your imagina...
    READ MORE

Gayatri Nair

Jun, 2013

Report Abuse

Value-for-money

Good quality banding and paper
    READ MORE

ALOK KUMAR

Certified Buyer, Saran

Sep, 2019

Report Abuse

This story will stay with you for a long long time

Arundhati is a poetess, an artist who spins munificence with the ordinary. Her story - a part biography is like fine music to even an untrained ear. She's one writer that I admire mostly because her words tell us a story in visuals. You feel the pain, the struggle, the sly humor and the God she cherishes in small things...

A must read for every one who likes good literature...
    READ MORE

Aakarsh Yardi

Certified Buyer

Jun, 2012

Report Abuse

Great product

it's really worthy to read ....
    one of the best novel to read...
    spend a time with the valuable book...
    spend money to buy..
    READ MORE

Boobesh S

Certified Buyer, Mallasamudram

Aug, 2019

Report Abuse

Excellent

Packaging was good. A nice product without any damage.
    READ MORE

Flipkart Customer

Certified Buyer, New Delhi

Jul, 2018

Report Abuse

A ballad

The God of small things
    By Arundhati Roy
    A book which has words woven seamlessly and they play in your mind as a cadence that starts following a rhythm like poetry. When one is reading it, the words become a song and they keep humming inside your mind. The author adopts a style of writing in such a manner that subtle instances build into your conscience and the story becomes yours. Words are used as such as the mind imbues with them impromptu instead of being grammatically correct. A not so i...
    READ MORE

Ujjwal Verma

Certified Buyer, Lucknow

Aug, 2014

Report Abuse

An avg story line but still I'm thinking of reading it again

Each character is weird, the story is full of remorse... But the way Roy has written.... BEAUTIFUL.... The story keeps you glued and it really takes you to the place described and live those character, after reading the book you are in a complete different mood... The writing is that powerful.

If you are looking for something different from that of romantic/action genre, I recommend this book.
    READ MORE

Ankit Deshmukh

Feb, 2013

Report Abuse

A brilliant book!

In her debut novel, Arundhati Roy delivers a simple story set against the backdrop of communism, social discrimination & casteism. In a sleepy little town, near present day Kottayam, Kerala, reside the Syrian Christian fraternal twins Rahel and Esthappen (Estha), the children of Ammu Ipe.

Roy writes a story so powerful, eliciting a strong response from the reader, and yet it remains poetically sublime. Her language is beautiful throughout the book, and it paints a vivid imagery in the reade...
    READ MORE

Anita Shyam

Feb, 2014

Report Abuse

A Sensory Feast!

When i began reading the book, i was a little troubled by the not so comfortable names. Also, the starting was pretty dark and gloomy. However, as the book progressed, i discovered the true charm of Roy's writing. The description is so fluid and artistic that you can actually picture the scene being painted in your head (I am not saying that you can picture the scene being enacted. I am saying that its almost like an artist is painting away with his brush and with each line read, the painting...
    READ MORE

Nitish Bhagath

Certified Buyer, Udaipur

Mar, 2014

Report Abuse
    +
    All 575 reviews
    Questions and Answers
    Q:do u have the malayalam version of this book??
    A:No
    Shivendra Pratap Singh
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Q:how many pages?
    A:348
    Anonymous
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Q:is it good for a school student to read??
    A:No not good for a student. There are various other books that are much better
    Satyam Thassu
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Read other answers
    Q:Why should i read this book?
    A:You should read this book to feel and understand emotions you wouldn't otherwise, given that the lives we live are mostly mundane. Also, this book is a literary masterpiece, in my humble opinion.
    Flipkart Customer
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Q:do u have Bengali version of it?
    A:They don't have it, I suppose.
    Aparna Roy
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Q:do you have a gujarati version of this book ??
    A:No, it is available in English version only.
    Susanta Chatterjee
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Read other answers
    Q:How many pages are there in the book bought ?
    A:340
    MIRSACADEMY
    Flipkart Seller
    Report Abuse
    Q:is this paperback or hard cover?
    A:This one is a paperback.
    K.T. Lalrintluanga
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Q:is it a love story?
    A:Yes, it is a love story but with a tragic end.
    Anonymous
    Certified Buyer
    Report Abuse
    Q:can u available in hindi version?
    A:No, only in English version
    Gurukul books 3
    Flipkart Seller
    Report Abuse
    Safe and Secure Payments.Easy returns.100% Authentic products.
    You might be interested in
    Plays
    Min. 50% Off
    Shop Now
    Popular Psychology Books
    Min. 50% Off
    Shop Now
    Philosophy Books
    Min. 50% Off
    Shop Now
    Mythological Text Books
    Min. 50% Off